Saturday, August 31, 2013

Chapter 2: Ballet

Thank you guys for the comments on the last chapter. Sorry I waited so long to post but I've been really busy. Anyway, I hope you like this chapter because I think it's blahhhh, but that's just me being critical of myself. Enjoy :)




"Aubrey quit, I'm trying to study here" He paid no attention to her whining as he continued to mess with her. He trailed his fingers up under his grey sweatshirt she had on. She eyed him before closing her book. "You're not gonna quit are you?" she asked. He leaned forward and gave her a light peck on her lips.

"Nope" Nicki sighed. 

"You know I have to be home before Jelani gets off, right?"

"I am aware of that Nika" he stated before gnawing on her neck. She hated sneaking around on her family like this but she just knew that they wouldn't care how Drake made her feel. Him being her first everything Nicki was absolutely attached to him. She never wanted to leave the comfort of his apartment but reality had set in. She was a seventeen year old girl who relied on her parents for everything while he was a young man who could legally and physically do for himself. Seeing her blank expression he stopped what he was doing. "What's wrong?" he asked concerned. Nicki huffed getting up.

"Nothing, can you just take me home?"

Drake got up from the floor and stared in her brown almond shaped eyes. "You know I hate it when you do that" he said getting frustrated. Nicki crossed her arms over her chest and looked up at him.

"Do what?"

"When you don't tell me what's wrong even though I know that something is bothering you"

"So what? If I wanted to tell you I would!" she got louder while turning around and packing her things in her bag. Drake shook his head in disbelief. She was throwing one of her usual tantrums. He hated it with a passion.

"You still act like a child, you know that? When something is bothering someone you talk it out! That's how relationships work Onika!" She charged toward him while slinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Well guess what idiot? I am still a child and if I don't wanna talk about it I won't!" She grabbed her shoes and began putting them on her feet. "By the way, you wasn't bringing up that child shit when you was hitting this, huh? She waited for his reply but he had nothing to say. "Thought so"

Nicki walked towards the door opening it. "Nika where are you going? It's cold outside and you're way across town. Let me drive you home" he offered but she wasn't hearing any of that right now. She had to get away from him  and his constant lecturing. 

"I'll take the bus" she said before slamming the door in his face. Nicki walked hastily down the road in the snow. She pulled her jacket tighter as the cold nipped at her skin. She remembered watching the weather channel and them saying that it was going to be 15 degrees at sunset. She didn't even notice the tears rolling down her face because the cold air made her numb. She crossed the road and waited for the bus to arrive.



"Nicki everything is going to be fine sweetheart. Don't put more stress on yourself. Noelle's going to need you to be strong for her"

Nicki was back at Ms. Jackson's house after meeting with a lawyer after work and class. She was hopping that Drake wouldn't actually followed through with his threat but the lawyer informed her that the paperwork was already filled. She looked down at her baby who was on the floor crawling with her pacifier in her mouth and her blanket clutched between her stubby fingers. 

"I know but I'm just worried that I might lose her" she cried. Ms. Jackson reached out and gave her a hug.

"Don't think like that baby. Regardless of what happens, you're still her mother and you have rights. Besides I'll always be here whenever you need me"

"Thanks...for everything"

Mrs. Jackson hugged her once again. "You're very welcome" 

Noelle stood up on wobbly legs still holding onto her pink blanket and took a step forward. Nicki froze. Was she really about to walk? Ms. Jackson smiled looking at Noelle. 

"She's been taking baby steps more and more each day" she explained. Nicki was so proud of her little cupcake. She couldn't believe how fast this year flew by and she wouldn't trade any of it for the world. Keeping Noelle was the best decision she had made in her entire life.

Noelle took another step babbling and holding her blanky tight. "Ma-ma, ma-ma, ma-ma" she continued. 

"Are you gonna walk for your mommy?" Mrs. Jackson asked her. Noelle kept babbling away. 

"Ma-ma, ma-ma, ma-ma"

Nicki held out her hands while bending down to her level.

"Come walk for mama" she coached. Noelle took another step, and then another, and then another until she reached Nicki. Nicki picked her up and spun her around in her arms. "My baby walked for me!" She yelled as Mrs. Jackson laughed. This was the happiest that she had seen Nicki and it warmed her heart.

She gently kissed her cheek before placing her on her hip and walking into the kitchen to get her baby food and bottle. Nicki placed her in her high chair and fastened a bib around her neck. The stress of the day didn't matter anymore. All that mattered was seeing Noelle vibrant and happy. Nicki glad she made the decision to moved back in with Ms. Jackson for two weeks while they wait on the court date. That way she'll be around  Noelle more. She didn't care that she had to make long drives back and forth to work. Having her baby everyday made the effort worth while.

"I'm going to take it in for the night. You got it, right?"

"Yeah, you go rest I'll be fine with her" she said scooping the food out the jar and feeding Noelle who was making a mess. 

When she had finished feeding and cleaning up Noelle, Nicki got up and ascended the stairs to Noelle's room and picked out a onesie for her after she gave her a  much needed bath. She washed Noelle's hair as she splashed water about in the bathtub. Once she was done, she dried her off and lotioned her up before putting her clothes on. Nicki kissed her forehead before laying her in her crib.

"Goodnight baby" she said before turning on the baby monitor and night light.

She went to her old room and flopped down on the bed while reaching for her text book to study what they did in class today. She made a mental note to tell her professor that she wouldn't be able to do the Broadway opportunity tomorrow.

Ballet: A classical dance form of theatrical presentation of group or solo dancing to a musical accompaniment, usually with costume and scenic effects, conveying a story or theme. Characterized by grace and precision of movement by elaborate formal gestures, steps and poses.


 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Nicki was about to take a shower before going to bed when her phone started ringing.  She doubled back tightening the pink towel she had wrapped around herself when her phone rang. Looking at the caller ID she sighed before picking it up. It was someone who she didn't want to talk to at the moment, Drake. He had been texting her all day. Now he want to care? she thought answering it.

"Hello" she answered hesitatingly.

"Hey"

"Hi" she said not really being in the mood to talk right now. He sensed her frustration through the phone.

"Are you still mad at me?" he asked trying to make conversation. She sighed.

"Yes"

"Look I just want to be able to have Noelle live with me, Nicki, and I knew that you would give me a hard time with that so I had to take drastic measures. From the time that she was born I felt like I never had a say so in her life. For god sake, Onika, I didn't even have an input in her name because you had already decided everything and I just had to go along with it." he explained. Nicki rolled her eyes.

"So that's what all this is about, huh? You damn right I would've given you a hard time because for one since she's been born you've seen her twice and she's almost one!"

"See-" Nicki cut him off immediately.

"Secondly, you just want her around you your wife knowing that I don't know her nor have I met her. How can I trust someone around her if I don't even know her! Aubrey you are an inconsiderate asshole! I do everything for her and you get to live your perfect life while I have to work and go to school to provide for her. I'm struggling mentally, emotionally and physically because I want her to have everything she needs. You offer me no damn help!" she quickly wiped her eyes as the tears fell. "You say you love her but what have you done for her? She requires more than love Aubrey! She needs support and stability too. That's the only reason Mrs. Jackson have temporary custody and you know that!"

"Wait, why do you have all this anger towards me? And how am I supposed to know what she needs if you don't tell me? You're forgetting that I'm also new to this parenting stuff so I have no clue where to begin! Somehow, I feel like you resent me."

Nicki sat at the edge of her bed contemplating what he had just said. Her mind reeled back to when she found out that he went back to his ex after they broke up.


Nicki had just came home from practice when she saw Drake and Jelani in the living room of their home. It had been months since the last time she saw or spoke to him since their big fight. They both agreed that their relationship couldn't work out, so they broke up. Seeing him now made all her anger towards him resurface and it didn't help that she wasn't feeling to well. Lately, she had been more moody and tired so she just associated it with her impending audition. She gently closed the door as to not alert them of her presence and quickly climbed the stairs to her room. As soon as she was in the comfort of her bedroom, she breathed a sigh of relief and threw her dance bag in the corner before going into her bathroom. Once she locked the door, she fished in her bag, taking out the pregnancy test she had bought two days before. With shaky hands, she took the test and waited for the results. Three agonizing minutes seemed to be a lifetime and it didn't help that Drake was downstairs. Nicki held up the test and checked it. Positive. 

She immediately called Viola on her cell phone. "I'm pregnant" she said once she picked up. 


"Onika you're kidding right?"


"No, V, I finally took the test" Nicki explained. The other end of the phone went silent for a moment. "Viola, say something! I don't know what to do here and he's downstairs with Jelani."


"You have to tell him, Onika."


"I'm scared of what he's gonna say, V. I mean we're not even together anymore and I haven't seen him in months! What if he deny it's his?"

"Now, you know he's not going to do that! Just tell him. Besides you don't know what he's got going on and when you'll see him again."

Nicki huffed. She knew her friend was right and she didn't want to be all alone in this. Especially since her parents were going back to Trinidad soon and she's going to stay with Mrs. Jackson for the remainder of her senior year. "You're right. I'm gonna go tell him. I'll call you back"


"Ok" Nicki hung up the phone and exited the bathroom. She went downstairs and heard them laughing and talking while playing the game. 

"So what's up with Keisha. I heard y'all got back together." Jelani asked.

"Yeah. We kinda started off right where we left off. But it's different this time, you know?"

"How's it different?"

"We understand each other more than any one else. I think we just needed the break to realize that"

"That's great man"

"Yeah, it is. Especially since we're both getting ready to graduate. It made us think about our future like we never have before" Drake explained.

"How so?" Jelanie asked still focusing on the game that they were playing. 

"We're getting married"

"Like for real, for real."

"Yeah. I already proposed to her and all. This weekend we plan on telling our parents and make it official" 

"Wow! Congrats man. That's amazing. I'm happy for you" 

"Thanks" 

Nicki clutched her chest as the sobs escaped her. She ran back upstairs and cried herself to sleep. How was she going to tell him that she's pregnant when he's getting married soon? There was no way that he would like the news.

"Nic, I'm trying to talk to you!" She snapped out of her thoughts and wipe her tears with the back of hand.

"I heard you"

Drake paused trying to be patient with her but it proved to be difficult. "Well, do you?" He asked.

"Do I what?"

"Resent me" Nicki fell back onto her bed and wrapped herself in her covers. She was exhausted. Mentally and physically. 

"I'm not suppose to be talking to you right now until we meet in two weeks for our court date. Anything you need to discuss, you need to tell your lawyer and she'll contact mine" She hung up in his face and turned her phone off because she knew that he would call back and she didn't feel like answering his question at the moment. 

She sighed and got up from the bed to get Noelle. She knew that she was still sleeping because she had put her down minutes ago and fed her. She just wanted to hold her because she felt alone and she knew in the back of her mind that two weeks from now, Noelle could be living with her father.



PLEASE COMMENT

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Soooo tear Jerking.
    I cannot imagine how she must of felt when she found out about Drake and his Ex. Ecspecially since she wasnt supposed to even hear it. It sucks how he just moved on like that. Even if it was two months. He basically said that Nic was almost nothing. Like he just needed her to help him realize how much he loved his ex. Wow. I cant. I am crying some real tears right now.
    You don't know how bad i want to strangle drake for doing this. I just cant.. I really really really hope Noelle doesnt get Taking from her. She really doesn't deserve that. Please dont let that happen ): please?
    Wonderful fantastic job tho! Your writing.. Is amazing i love it so much! So thanks a lot! For posting!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg You An Amazing Writter I Love This Story I Can't What till the next chapter but what I liked the most was the flash backs best part of the story I can't believe drake is trying to take the baby tho!!! :( UPDATE SOON:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just caught up omg first off drake dumb as shit how you going to come out of no where talking about you want custody and your ass only seen ya daughter once I mean what kind of bullshit is tht bro ugh I would resent his ass too tbh add soon I hope he doesn't get noelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am absolutely in love with this story and your writing!

    BTW... I would like to read ur other stories but some of them are just for invited readers... Could u invite me? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh,I just found this today!This story is heartbreaking,the way Nicki found out about Drake getting married,he spoke like Nicki was someone 2 distract him before going back 2 his ex.I didin't like that.Iw hope Drake doesn't take Noelle away from her,he needs instead 2 divorse his wife n get back with Nic,jussayin'.

    ReplyDelete